The Warren Forum
April 18, 2014, 11:34:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "Politicians in this city live in fear of this Web site and it affects what they do.”

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Walmart going out of business  (Read 3345 times)
Spanky

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:55 AM »

Jimbo has called for a nationwide boycott of Walmart. I guess it's all over for them. Once he and his supporter stop going there it's curtains.

" Political correctness offends me".
Jerry

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »

Fouts and his supporters already do not go to Walmart because they don't sell enough "made in America" goods. So, it really won't make a bit of difference.  You know, like most of the things he says.
granny1949

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30:28 PM »

he wants them to do something with the old walmarts at 12 mile but its not the only empty building thats a eye sore in warren oh i forgot its in north warren.
nightmare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »

It may be vacant but they are still paying rent to the property owner from what I understand.
TheBlackPot

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:06:19 AM »

That's actually a standard contract lease.  Corporations do it all the time.  My problem is, this property has been vacant for 3 years, and only now that it's an election year does Fouts think it's a good idea to do something about it?
sickofwarren

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:47:19 PM »

Vacant for 3 years? Has it been stickered by the city? Should require full inspections and to be brought up to code.
That's actually a standard contract lease.  Corporations do it all the time.  My problem is, this property has been vacant for 3 years, and only now that it's an election year does Fouts think it's a good idea to do something about it?
Definitely Maybe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »

Walmart responds to mayor’s concerns over plaza

Mayor presses for development at Tech Plaza shopping center

By Brian Louwers
C & G Staff Writer

Walmart has no plans to reopen a shuttered store at 12 Mile and Van Dyke, a spokesman said, and while the company continues to honor its existing lease there, it would be happy to have something else occupy the former space.

The statement came after Warren Mayor Jim Fouts’ State of the City remarks on March 24, where the mayor used the podium to publicly blast the retail giant for a lingering lack of development at the Tech Plaza shopping center.

At issue is a vacant 128,000-square-foot anchor store previously occupied by Walmart , which in 2008 opened a newly built location at 14 Mile and Van Dyke, in Sterling Heights.

Fouts rolled out a string of buzz words including “garbage,” “gangs,” “rats,” and “prostitutes” when discussing the empty retail space at Tech Plaza, where he said Walmart still holds a lease. He suggested the company was attempting to thwart development out of concern over competition.

The vacant space, Fouts said, has hurt the rest of the plaza in the city’s Downtown Development Authority district, across the street from the General Motors Technical Center campus, and a few blocks from Warren’s City Hall.

“We have an empty eyesore. We have a crater that’s hurting the city of Warren,” Fouts said. “It’s stopping development in the central, the single most important part of our city.”

Fouts said he unsuccessfully attempted to set up a meeting with Walmart through the owners of the property. The plaza is owned by West Penn Realty and is represented by its leasing agent, J.J. Gumburg Co.

Should the situation go unresolved, Fouts said he would initiate nuisance abatement hearings targeting the property through the Warren City Council. He even threw out the idea of leading a “nationwide boycott” of Walmart if the company refused to come to the table.

Bill Wertz, director of community and media relations for Walmart , said company officials were unaware of any issues — including vandalism, graffiti or other things mentioned by Fouts — until they received a letter on March 25, the day after the mayor’s speech.

“I’m not sure exactly the origin of the mayor’s complaint, but there has been a certain degree of inaccuracy in some of the allegations that I’ve heard,” Wertz said. “We certainly are not standing in the way of having this store go to someone else. We signed a lease and we’re honoring that lease, but as you can probably imagine we’d be perfectly happy to have somebody else take over that space, since we’re not going to be occupying it ourselves.

“We’re not familiar with any of the vandalism, or any of the graffiti, or the criminal activity the mayor has referred to. It certainly has not been brought to our attention,” Wertz said.

While the company at some point may have planned to reopen, expand, or use the Tech Plaza property for something else, Wertz said that’s no longer the case.

Walmart  moved 275 employees to Sterling Heights in 2008 and the space in Warren, on the west end of the plaza, was left empty.

Other big-name retailers to close shop at Tech Plaza included Sears Hardware and Office Depot. Only a handful of stores remain.

The shopping center opened in the 1960s. The entire parcel spans 28.21 acres, or 1.2 million square feet of land, near the city’s Civic Center and includes 291,505 square feet of building space, according to the city assessor’s office.

Robert Irr, of J.J. Gumburg, confirmed via email on March 28 that the ownership and representation of the property has remained unchanged for about 30 years. He did not address the mayor’s allegations, or the status of the lease with Walmart.

You can reach C & G Staff Writer Brian Louwers at brianlouwers@candgnews.com or at (586)498-1089.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's your move, Mayor Fouts. Cut the rhetoric and initiate abatement hearings.

58 is great

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »

That entire shopping center is an eyesore. I don't understand why Walmart, is the only business that was singled out. Sure they were the "anchor", but many others left there too. It must have something to do, with the lack of making a decent profit. Trust me, if there was money to made at that location, then you would have various retail emporiums just running to sign leases.
yogi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »

First of all Fout's is wrong in what he did.....  However, the truth is Walmart is paying the lease and didn't even attempt to sublease, so I think their intent is to keep it vacant. Time and time again Walmart continues to prove they are not good neighbors when it comes to taking care of blight it creates..
I am not saying that someone would lease it or not..
ja

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, and don't ever plan to. I really enjoyed the line from their PR guy that said "It has not been brought to our attention."

I'm sorry, but where I'm from you don't wait for someone else to tell you there is a problem with your property. You should know everything about it first and have all ready taken care of it.
sickofwarren

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:49 AM »

Although I had only been to that Wal-Mart once, that was the K mart I went to all my life. I also went to the Sears Hardware on a regular basis. I believe the Sears Hardware closed (after Wal-Mart left) when Sears was purchased by Kmart and were just thinning the herd, probably on a sales basis. Most of the 1000's of people in my trade (auto related)  use Craftsman tools and that trade has been spiraling down since 2001 and the big hit in 2008. Now I have to go to Macomb Mall. I doubt any other empty spaces are still leased by the previous occupants, only Wal-Mart.
 My question is, when will these idiots in Lansing and Washington realize that our entire economy revolves around the American Auto Industry, and they should be doing absolutely everything they can to get that back running at full steam. Including a new cash for clunkers limited to the big 3, 0 down 0% financing on any new american made car, and full discounts to all tax payers regardless of whether or not they are returning a lease. Do away with the UAW and enact Federal Wage Policies. We already have OSHA so safety in the workplace is not an issue. Federal tax incentives for buying American Made Products, and MI. tax incentives for buying michigan made products. If people are'nt working, they're not going to buy anything from anywhere that they don't NEED to survive. That includes retail, resturants, real estate, or a new car. People simply can't afford to pay full price for anything these days, so make the choice. Do you want to make a little money, or nothing at all?
Definitely Maybe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »

Hey sick- What do you mean safety in the work place isn't an issue because of OSHA? You must have never worked in a non union shop!  Another point- Now that Michigan is on the fast track to a Right to Work (for Less) state, new vehicle purchases wont even be an option regardless of incentives. Everyone will be driving old hoopties.
MaschAvenue
Anti-Totem Pole

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:48:51 AM »

Right to Work (for market wages that aren't artificially inflated to the point of your company being bankrupt)

PC Load Letter?  What the heck does that mean?
Spanky

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »

Fouts should buy that building, sink about 7 or 8 bazillion dollars into it and make it a Senior Center. A place that size could easily handle 12 - 15 seniors a day.

" Political correctness offends me".
Hartley

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »

What seems to be lost in all the media hype is that walmart is no responsible for the clean up of the area.  THE LANDLORD IS!

This is just more useless hype for a useless mayor looking to get his name in the media.
FYI, according to the cops, there is no crime, graffitti or prostitution at that location.
I know it hard to believe, but could our glorious leader be lying? AGAIN?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: